Monday, March 05, 2012

Monday Math Freebies

For a while now I have been encouraging my students and the teachers I work with to consider games for homework. Can you imagine what your view of math might be today if your teacher sent you home with a game instead of a worksheet with 50 problems? I'm a game player at heart and know that my problem solving skills and facility with numbers developed in part because I played board games of all kinds. With so many kids spending time on the computers, smart phones, Wii's and other electronic devices, I'm convinced they miss out on a great deal when they don't sit down with another human being and engage in simple conversation and a battle of wits over a game. 

Over at my other blog, Bookish Ways in Math and Science, I've started a new feature called Monday Math Freebies. If you are a teacher, know a teacher, or just like to play games with your kids, then this is for you. Each week I'll be sharing a few math resources to help kids practice basic skills and other important math concepts. The games require few resources beyond a game board (which I provide), dice or playing cards, and some kind of marker. The game files are free and come with directions. I hope you'll try them out and let me know what you think.

Head on over and check out today's freebies, Fishing for Numbers and Monkey Madness: Three to Win!.

No comments:

Post a Comment