Friday, November 02, 2012

Poetry Friday - O Captain! My Captain!

Election day is around the corner. All eyes are on the presidential election. When I think of presidents and poetry I can't help but think of Whitman.

O Captain! My Captain! 
by Walt Whitman

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
    But O heart! heart! heart!        
      O the bleeding drops of red,
        Where on the deck my Captain lies,
          Fallen cold and dead.

Read the poem in its entirety.


The roundup this week is being hosted by Donna at Mainely Write. Do stop by and check out all the great poetry being shared. Before you go, do take a minute to see the wonderful poems written for this week's poetry stretch on weather. Happy poetry Friday all!

4 comments:

  1. Trisha- some great poems for this week's poetry stretch!
    This election has me worried. I usually know who I'll vote for by now, but this time, I'm still not sure. Only a few days left, so I need to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to get by and read some of those poems, but first I have to make it through all the poetry Friday links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great choice for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear. This makes me feel rather grim about Tuesday:>/

    ReplyDelete