Monday, October 17, 2016

Monday Poetry Stretch - Rondeau Redoublé

The rondeau redoublé is a French poetic form composed of 25 lines with only 2 rhymes, whole repeating lines, and a hemstitch.

The lines of the first stanza reappear in order as the final lines of the next four stanzas. The hemstitch appears as a half-line at the very end of the poem. Each stanza rhymes either abab or baba. 

Here's one example of the form.
When I'm first working with a new poetic form, I use a guide like this. You can download my template if you want to try it.

Want to know more about the roundeau redoublé? Check out this comprehensive bit of background Kelly Fineman shared at Writing and Ruminating.

I hope you'll join me this week in writing a rondeau redoublé. Please share a link to your poem or the poem itself in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Does it need to be 8 syllables per line? I found an amusing one by Dorothy Parker: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44836 Hers is 10 syllables, at least in first couple of lines. I might give it a whirl if the multitude of rules don't make my head swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting
    Hooray for Octobers��
    Here's my link:
    Http://awordedgewiselindamitchell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rondeau Redoublé

    Out of the corner of my eye
    just beyond my view,
    someone's asking why,
    like something I have failed to do.

    Someone whom I always knew,
    something I cannot not deny,
    I strain but cannot grasp a clue
    out of the corner of my eye.

    Always forever, asking why
    I failed somehow to follow true
    to course. Sad enough it's heard to sigh
    just beyond my view.

    I know I've given less in lieu
    of that which bye and bye
    could be lover. ever new,
    someone's asking why.

    It has been I choose not pry
    into that which reaches through
    the veil before I die.
    Like something I have failed to do?

    That which I might ever rue
    should I fail to spy,
    the very one I'd wish to bid adieu
    or carry with me high

    out of the corner.




    copyright 2016 Judith Robinson all rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the template. I am working on one but I haven't gotten it yet. It's floating around in my brain.

    ReplyDelete