Friday, December 02, 2016

Poetry Seven Write Ekphrastic Poems (One Last Time for 2016)

And so, another year of writing poetry with my fabulous sisters comes to an end. This year we alternated poetic forms with ekphrastic poems. This time around Andi shared photos taken at the Glencairn Museum Cloister. This is the photo I chose.
Photograph © Andi Sibley

I've never written a love poem before, as I'm not really the romantic type, but I am sentimental. Here's where this image took me.

22 Years and Counting ...

You sit in the ram
I’ll sit in the ewe
together in quiet
we’ll relish the view

The peace of the valley
buried in snow
the twinkling lights
of the houses below

Up here on the hill
with the now setting sun
we sit in our chairs
as the day is undone

Communing together
we don’t say a word
but we don’t need to speak
for our hearts to be heard

With fingertips touching
we speak with our eyes
the fact that you love me
is still a surprise

You are my comfort
my home and my song
in the map of my heart
it's with you I belong

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2016. All rights reserved.

You can read the poems written by my Poetry Seven compatriots at the links below. 
I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Bridget Magee at wee words for wee ones. Happy poetry Friday friends!

12 comments:

  1. "the fact that you love me
    is still a surprise"

    I just LOVE that. And it's so true. Love that lasts is also love that is reborn, over and over. You've captured that beautifully, by sharing the "map of your heart" in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I double-dog dare you to share this with its intended recipient! I love that someone else chose the benches! Don't they just encourage that close communication? I keep imagining how they were used when the Pitcairn family lived there...

    we don't need to speak
    for our hearts to be heard


    Awwww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double-dog dare not accepted! In all our years together I've never said or written anything like this. I'm only safe because I know he doesn't read my blog. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to share.

      Delete
  3. So many beautiful parts here, including what Sara and Tanita already mentioned. "we sit in our chairs
    as the day is undone" is probably the part that spoke to me. Something about the sort of violence of the day coming undone while you sit with your beloved in "our" chairs--that steadiness and comfort...just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha this is so sweet and beautiful! I second Tanita - you better share it with your love! I am always going to think of you when I visit the cloister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gentle, touching take on this photo...you may not write love poems often, but when you do, it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *swoon!* This is lovely on so many levels, Tricia.
    "but we don’t need to speak
    for our hearts to be heard" - so true when you've been with someone for a long time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love-ly! You ladies seem to be evenly split between birds and benches. Interesting to see the variety of directions you went this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The benches!! The benches are popular!!
    Tricia, I love your love poem -- and I hope you share it, wrapped up in a pretty ribbon. It's so dear....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I just melt to read that. My hubby and I will hit 20 years in May, and it's definitely a surprise that the love is still there, quietly warm on the hob. Reading your poem was like eating chocolate. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the last four lines most of all:
    "You are my comfort
    my home and my song
    in the map of my heart
    it's with you I belong"
    Spoke to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tricia, Happy anniversary, that's beautiful! So good. Bravo and my best to Ed and the William the Conqueror.

    ReplyDelete