Friday, January 20, 2017

Poetry Friday - Pied Beauty

I need this today ...

Pied Beauty
by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Glory be to God for dappled things –
   For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
      For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
   Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
      And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

Read the poem in its entirety. (You can listen to it too!)

I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Violet Nesdoly. Happy poetry Friday friends!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely images of dappled things. Our sky has been dimpled today once the sun finally peeked out from behind more than a week of rain and dreary clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me think of dalmations, the flash of a red-winged blackbird and a cardinal's mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the first line draws me into the poem with the word "dappled." This poem inspires me to make my own list of beautiful distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this favorite today. It heals my heart just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This poem is reminding the reader to give thanks unto God for dappled things. All these dappled things exists because of God the creator. This is a wonderful poem and I agree with the last sentence Mary Lee wrote.

      Delete