Friday, November 25, 2022

Poetry Sisters Write Recipe Poems

The challenge we undertook this month was to write recipe poems. I had a lot of starts and stops on our Zoom call Sunday. I wasn't really loving any of my poems. (Isn't this how I always begin these posts?) I was prepared to share a draft of at least one poem, but then I received some profoundly sad news and started thinking about the path to healing we all walk in the face of unimaginable loss.

This poem is my response to this news.


Recipe for Healing

marinate in denial
   gradually absorb this terrible news

broil in anger
   briefly, to avoid bitterness and resentment

stew in bargaining
   with just a pinch of "if only" and "what ifs"

simmer in depression
   until the fog of sadness lifts

steep in acceptance
   acknowledging change and loss

knead and fold
shape and prove
REST and RISE

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2022. All rights reserved.

You can read the pieces written by my Poetry Sisters at the links below. 

    Would you like to try the next challenge? In December we are letting box inspire us. Your poem can be about a box, in the form of a box, about Boxing day, a boxing match, etc. Let your imagination run wild! We hope you'll join us. Are you in? Good! You’ve got a month to craft your creation(s), then share your offering with the rest of us on December 30th in a post and/or on social media with the tag #PoetryPals. We look forward to reading your poems!  

    I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Ruth at There is no such thing as a God-forsaken town. Happy poetry Friday friends!

    10 comments:

    1. First, in so sorry for your news.
      Second, this poem works so well! I love that broiling is a part of the instructions, that it is acknowledged as a necessary step. It really resonates.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sorry to hear of your awful news. Your poem is so honest (it resonates) brave and powerful. I love your strong and uplifted ending - rich with hope, yet true to your recipe, too.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Tricia, I'm amazed that in the midst of such loss you can gracefully manage such a considered structure, which works for the recipe and also the healing journey that will be undertaken. Your last stanza is so full of muscle and resilience! May you weather it well, friend.

      ReplyDelete
    4. This soothes me more than you can know. I've had some terrible news lately and am far from the person I want to comfort. I wish I could just go and do something--and yet, there's nothing to actually do. Thank you for putting all of this in a beautiful poem.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm so sorry for whatever news you got. And thank you for sharing your poem. <3

      ReplyDelete
    6. I commented on another platform, Tricia, but I wanted to send hugs here, too. Big hugs.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Tricia, I know that facing sad news is so difficult. The "path to healing we all walk in the face of unimaginable loss." Your first step in your healing poem is a universal truth as are other lines. The poem is steeped in emotion and wisdom. May find peace among the anguish.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I'm so sorry for the sad news, dear Tricia...you have managed to pour such depth into this short poem, layers upon layers of emotion and truth about grief. And miraculously, your "action verbs" --so strong and vibrant-- give me hope, too, that we CAN rise and love and do what we need to get through it all.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh, Tricia. I'm so sorry about your news. And what incredible beauty you made of it. xo

      ReplyDelete
    10. That ending. Such truth all the way through, but thankful for the "REST and RISE."

      ReplyDelete