Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Ring/Drum/Blanket Poem

Last week when the fabulous Elaine at Wild Rose Reader interviewed the amazingly talented Janet Wong, the focus of the conversation was Janet's experience as a student in a master class on poetry taught by the late Myra Cohn Livingston. At the end of the interview, Elaine and Janet invited readers to try writing a poem using the words ring, drum, and blanket. So far, only one person has participated. Hurray Kelly!

I had been trying to use these words in my kyrielle, but couldn't make them work. Instead, I came up with this. Here is my Ring/Drum/Blanket poem.
Gunfire
rings out,
day
after day.

Long settled in,
War's heavy blanket
smothers
the drumbeat of
freedom.

2 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    I wanted to let you know that Janet Wong left a comment about your ring/drum/blanket poem at the following blog post at Wild Rose Reader:

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2008/04/ringdrumblanket-poems-by-tricia.html

    Thanks for taking the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elaine! I wrote back over at your post.

    ReplyDelete