Thursday, July 16, 2009

Poetry Friday (One Day Early) - Moonflowers

Forgive the early post, but I leave for some much needed time off tomorrow.

It's been exactly 10 weeks since my father's death and I am often surprised and unhinged by things I see that remind me of him. This poem speaks to these moments.
Moonflowers
by Karma Larsen

It was the moonflowers that surprised us.
Early summer we noticed the soft gray foliage.
She asked for seedpods every year but I never saw them in her garden.
Never knew what she did with them.
Exotic and tropical, not like her other flowers.


Read the entire poem.
The round up is being hosted by Becky at Becky's Book Reviews. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

5 comments:

  1. Tricia, that is really beautiful. I wish you peace. And I hope you get rest and relaxation on this day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that the coyotes might notice a platter of moonflowers...thanks, Tricia.

    I grew up in Richmond--would love to chat sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much peace to you. Losing a parent is difficult, especially the first year. It still surprises me how the unexpected will evoke memories of mine.
    I love this poem. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem - I am so sorry about your father and I hope the time you spend now with your mother will be of great comfort to both of you.

    ReplyDelete