Friday, September 26, 2014

Poetry Friday - Zombie Poetry

Yesterday at lunch my son and I were having a major discussion (that included math) over the check and tip. As I was explaining my thinking, the conversation took an unexpected turn.

Son: Mom, did you just do all that math in your head?
Me: Yes, I did.
Son: Wow. If I were a zombie I'd totally eat your brain first.

A strange compliment if I ever heard one, but I know exactly what his 13 year old mind was thinking!

That conversation got me thinking about zombies and poetry. (Yes, I know my mind works in strange ways!) Did you know there was a book of zombie poetry?
You can download a free sample. You can also listen to the poem Rebirth is Always Painful.

In 2012 The New York Times ran an article on zombie poetry.

Finally, while doing a bit of searching, I came across this little gem.

Midnight Snack
by David Piper

The sound of plates and glasses clinking
Woke me up quite late last night.
And from the kitchen something stinking
Gave me, well, a nasty fright.

Read the poem in its entirety. (It also contains a lovely bit of artwork.)


I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Laura Purdie Salas at Writing the World for Kids. Happy poetry Friday friends!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one great compliment! I'd be honored if someone mused on munching my brains!

    "Grain fed is quite all right..." Yup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek!
    Delightful & daring.

    I am soooo with you on Halloween anticipation.

    Appreciations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do smart people have tastier brains? Maybe there's a novel that addresses that question. There is a surprising amount of zombie poetry (I guess ANY amt. of zombie poetry is a surprising amt.?). Here's a zombie haiku by Ryan Mecum in the style of Robert Frost:

    Two lobes in the skull.
    I eat the bloodier one –
    not much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem - one to share with my students over Halloween, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. Your kid cracks me up, Tricia.
    I'd totally eat your brain, first as well, if that's a compliment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a boy, but as soon as he said it, I knew exactly what he meant! However, the look on our waitress' face was priceless.

      Delete
  6. What a fun zombie poem! I'm hearing a zombie "The Raven" in there somewhere. I've read a zombie poetry collection and a zombie novel in verse, and I didn't love either. But this is awesome. I clearly need to dig a little deeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, quite a midnight snack. Fun poem and great conversation with your son (love how his mind works). :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting compliment if ever there was one! Thanks for sharing "Midnight Snack"--I'm going to share it with my vegetarian/grain-fed husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I didn't know there was zombie poetry, and the ones shared are frightful, uh, delightful! Will share, Tricia! I have PF on Halloween, perhaps will work on a poem from this inspiration! Your son's remark must have startled, but into a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you let your mind wander to zombie poetry! Fun stuff! A grain-fed brain...HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. Your son is awesome! Really enjoyed your zombie poetry jaunt today, Tricia. I wrote my own lighthearted Halloween zombie poem last year. Here's the link if you want to take a look: http://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2013/10/halloween-countdown-day-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny, both your son's sense of humor and the great zombie poem. I'll never look at "grain fed" product labeling the same way again. = )

    ReplyDelete