Friday, November 27, 2015

Poetry Friday - November and the Gift of Poetry

On this day after Thanksgiving I am looking at the calendar, amazed that the month is nearly over. This means that this is the very last Friday I can share a little gem by Elizabeth Coatsworth.

November
by Elizabeth Coatsworth

November comes,
And November goes
With the last red berries
And the first white snows,

With night coming early
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.


While some may be out shopping for gifts today, I'm thinking about poetry presents. If you would like to gift yourself some poetry, why not consider an e-mail subscription? Here are a few of my favorites.

Poetry Foundation Newsletters
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/newsletter/
You can sign up for a number of different newsletters on the Poetry Foundation site, including a poem of the day. If you like to listen to your poetry, you can also subscribe to the poem of the day podcast at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/features/audio?show=Poem%20of%20the%20Day.

American Life in Poetry
http://www.americanlifeinpoetry.org/email.html
American Life in Poetry is a free weekly column for newspapers and online publications featuring a poem by a contemporary American poet and a brief introduction to the poem by Ted Kooser. The sole mission of this project is to promote poetry. You can register to receive a weekly email of the American Life in Poetry Column.

The Writer's Almanac Newsletter
http://writersalmanac.org/newsletter/
Sign up to receive poems, prose, and literary history every morning from Garrison Keillor.

Poems From Jane Yolen
http://eepurl.com/bs28ab
Did you know that you can get a new poem a day from Jane Yolen? All you need to do is: (1) subscribe; and (2) pledge to either buy a book of Jane's or borrow one from the library.

Poem-A-Day
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem-day
Poem-a-Day is the original and only daily digital poetry series featuring over 200 new, previously unpublished poems by today’s talented poets each year. On weekdays, poems are accompanied by exclusive commentary by the poets. The series highlights classic poems on weekends.

Poetry Daily Newsletter
http://poems.com/about_newsletter.php
Poetry Daily is an anthology of contemporary poetry. Each day on the web site they share a poem from new books, magazines, and journals. If you sign up for the free weekly newsletter you will receive a poem selected from the archive and information on upcoming featured poets, special editorial events, poetry news and reviews, and more.

Getting a poem in your mailbox is truly a tiny little gift each day. I hope you'll consider one of these (or all of them!) as a way to bring a bit more poetry into your life.


I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Carol at Carol’s Corner. Happy poetry Friday friends!

13 comments:

  1. It is a gift to receive a poem in the inbox every day. Thanks for all the links, Tricia, and for that November poem. It's 10 degrees here in Denver this am, and if I had a bucket of water outside, I'm sure it would be frozen over! Love that 'earth sinks to rest', too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite poem-a-day comes from The Writer's Almanac.

    Our November is way off track. It was in the upper 60s yesterday and we'll stay in the 60s today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely forgot about this one, probably because I listen to it every morning on NPR. Adding it now!

      Delete
    2. And yes, our November weather is way off too! I'm ready for fall and cold.

      Delete
  3. That is a sweet poem! November shouldn't be exiting yet, I don't think it is time...
    I'm subscribed to "Poem a Day", and always read the poem and then try to guess if they are current or modern before looking at the poet info. Pretty easy to guess correctly. I'm always drawn to the classic poets.
    Warm here today, too. Quite a change from last years snow and power outage for our Thanksgiving meal. Never two years in a row alike! (I hope.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the November poem. I can't wait to share these two "November" poems when we go back on November 30th. And thank you for the great list of daily poem possibilities. I do "Your Daily Poem" and "Poem a Day." I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the November poem. I can't wait to share these two "November" poems when we go back on November 30th. And thank you for the great list of daily poem possibilities. I do "Your Daily Poem" and "Poem a Day." I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more complex life becomes, the more I am drawn to the simplicity of poems like Coatsworth's. Thanks for all the links, Tricia! I tend to save things up and read in a binge, and now that Duncan's morning bus is later, I have to do Writer's Almanac by podcast instead of "live". It all works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Yolen sends a poem to my mailbox every morning, and it's very inspiring and lovely to start a day that way. I will have to look at the rest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know the Elizabeth Coatsworth poem, "And a Big Black Crow Is Cawing"? If not, let me know and I'll send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for poetry presents! Have you seen A Year of Being Here? (I heard about it from a Poetry Friday friend, not sure who it was...if it was you, then I guess you have!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've gifted us all early, Tricia - thank you! For haiku lovers, I'll add The Haiku Foundation's "Per diem" offerings on their website and a great free app for your phone. (Shake your phone, and a new haiku appears!). HSA President David G. Lanoue also offers a daily Issa poem to sign up for on his HaikuGuy website.
    Thanks again for all the great links - a couple I didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's a lovely one--thank you, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete