Saturday, February 10, 2018

#nf10for10 - Inspiring Future Scientists

I've been away from blogging for a while, only checking in when I'm writing with my poetry sisters. Now that the spring semester is well underway, I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. Since it's February 10th and I love book lists, the nonfiction 10 for10 seemed a good way to start.

This academic year (17-18) I've been fortunate to go back to teaching a stand alone science methods course. This means I have 14 full weeks to spend with preservice teachers thinking about best practices in teaching elementary science. One of skills we develop is in keeping a scientist's notebook. In addition to using it for close observations, wonder questions, experimental data, nature observations, and more, we are using it to compare our work to the work found in the notebooks of naturalists and scientists. In doing this, I've been sharing a number of books about scientists. Here are just a few of my favorites. I hope you consider sharing these with your future scientists.

written by Robert Burleigh and illustrated by‎ Raúl Colón

written by Matthew Clark Smith and illustrated by Giuliano Ferri 

written by Suzanne Slade and illustrated by Jessica Lanan 

written by Jim Ottaviani and illustrated by‎ Maris Wicks 

written by Julia Finley Mosca and illustrated by‎ Daniel Rieley 

written by Jess Keating and illustrated by Marta Alvarez Miguens 

written and illustrated by Stephanie Roth Sisson  

written by Jeannine Atkins  

written and illustrated by Rachel Ignotofsky  

written by H. Joseph Hopkins and illustrated by‎ Jill McElmurry  

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I'm sticking to 10, though I do want to cheat and throw in a few more. I guess that just means I'll need to revisit this topic.

You can read more about nf10for10 at It's Coming: February's Nonfiction Picture Book Event.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love to be in your class, Tricia, even though I'm not a teacher. I've only read a few of these titles and love them, so I'll be putting the others on reserve. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic that these teachers are looking at various ways to introduce science. That is good news, and I thank you for that, and also happy Finding Wonders made it to your top ten of the moment. It's a poetic thing, sometimes sticking to the syllables or lines, sometimes spilling open. Best wishes to you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Laura, I'd love to take a science class from you! I know I'd learn a lot. The first four books on your list are totally new to me. I'm commenting on people's posts with my Denver Public Library tab open beside it, so I'm all set to put those on reserve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to blogging and I really enjoyed your collection. I must check out of Out of School and into Nature along with Tree Lady. I just picked up Shark Lady at our book fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all wonderful, I agree. I don't know Small wonders, but love each other one, Tricia. I did lots of field work and journaling with my students, assume you know Claire Walker Leslie's books? Her work is so good and helpful. As a teacher, my favorite is titled "Into The Field-A Guide to Locally Focused Teaching". You may be familiar with these, but thought I'd share. Thanks for your list, each one a gem. Have fun in your class!

    ReplyDelete