Friday, November 02, 2018

Poetry Sisters Write - Anaphora

This month's challenge was set by Tanita, who proposed we write in any form, but using anaphora. Anaphora is the repetition of a word or group of words at the beginning of two or more successive clauses or sentences. The theme she set was gratitude and grace in loss.

I'm not sure I hit the mark exactly on the theme, but I've got the repetition down. Here's my offering this month.

First Tuesday After November 1

On this day I will rise and run
chasing dawn with every footfall
On this day I will marvel at the sunrise
grateful for its slow explosion
of color on the horizon
On this day I will appreciate the swiftness
of sparrows, lifting and reeling
towards the trees
On this day I will relish the wind
in my hair, the rain on my face
On this day I will embrace the stutter,
the loss for words, the inevitable
lapse in memory
On this day I will not lament
unfinished business, lost keys,
or broken promises
On this day I will appreciate
every breath, every heart beat
every bead of sweat
On this day I will stand
in line to cast my vote
grateful to be heard

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2018. All rights reserved.

You can read the pieces written by my poetry sisters at the links below. Sara is traveling, but may have something to share with us later.
I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Jama at Jama's Alphabet Soup. Happy poetry Friday friends!

10 comments:

  1. Tricia, I love that slow explosion of color. And how you are forcing us to relish and notice the moment, our world, our life, before bringing it to a close with that implicit urging to vote in order to bring change, bring meaning, bring support to what we believe in. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of us all, I believe you most directly captured the theme. I love that the title ties it all together. It's a way of saying "we will go on."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for election day and the month of Thanksgiving. Love the energy and optimism of your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the movement from rising to run, refusing to lament lost words and lapsed memory, and gratitude for our right to vote. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes. One day can change the world, one vote can change the system. One can be all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One reason to move physically (run, dance, walk) is that we gain a deeper understand of ourselves and lose what isn't important. And then we stand and vote for what IS important, always. P.S. I'm not a runner, but I love how you made me feel the joy of running in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the unfurling of details, and the gratitude to be heard. Let's hope all of us join your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This. This is such a prayer, Kelly! I feel like singing with gratitude.
    Thank you for this. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome blog! Thanks for sharing!


    www.ftstsp.com

    ReplyDelete