Our challenge this month was to write a haiku sonnet. A haiku sonnet combines the syllable count and three-line stanzaic structure of the English haiku with the fourteen-line structure of the sonnet. You can learn more about the form at Writer's Digest and at Astra Poetica.
I used two different poems as mentor poems. The first was Birds Punctuate the Days by Joyce Clement. The second was Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird by Wallace Stevens. My first thought was to marry the ideas in Joyce Clement's poem to those in May Swenson's Cardinal Ideograms. This was much harder than I thought it would be, largely because I didn't want my imagery to copy those created by Clement. I then pivoted to writing haiku that related to summer giving way to fall, using Stevens' poem as a guide for ways of seeing/observation.
In the end, I drafted two poems.
You can read the poems my Poetry Sisters have written at the links below.
- Tanita Davis
- Mary Lee Hahn
- Sara Lewis Holmes
- Laura Purdie Salas
- Liz Garton Scanlon
Would you like to try the next challenge? Our prompt for September comes from Colby Sharp in THE CREATIVITY PROJECT (p.257): "It was all my fault." Write a poem that uses this idea or these words or anything that this sentence makes you think of. You’ve got a month to craft your creation(s), then share your offering with the rest of us on September 25th in a post and/or on social media with the tag #PoetryPals. We look forward to reading your poems!
I hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Mona Voelkel. Happy Poetry Friday all!


No comments:
Post a Comment