Friday, February 02, 2007

Groundhog Day Poetry (Yes, It's Friday!)

I found this lovely gem at CanTeach: Songs & Poems.
Groundhog Day
Old Groundhog stretched in his leafy bed.
He turned over slowly and then he said,
"I wonder if spring is on the way,
I'll go and check the weather today.
If I see my shadow between eleven and noon,
I then will know that I'm out too soon.
I'll crawl back in bed for six weeks more,
Pull up the warm covers and snore and snore.
But if no shadow gives me a scare,
I know that spring is in the air,
I'll wake my friends and wish them cheer,
With glorious news that spring is here."
Here's a haiku from a site on Groundhog's Day Literature.
Groundhogs are sleeping
They don't give a flying fluff
About the weather.
And finally, since no shadow was sighted, here is a spring poem written by my favorite poet.
Spring Pools by Robert Frost
These pools that, though in forests, still reflect
The total sky almost without defect,
And like the flowers beside them, chill and shiver,
Will like the flowers beside them soon be gone,
And yet not out by any brook or river,
But up by roots to bring dark foliage on.
The trees that have it in their pent-up buds
To darken nature and be summer woods --
Let them think twice before they use their powers
To blot out and drink up and sweep away
These flowery waters and these watery flowers
From snow that melted only yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment