Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday Poetry Stretch - Lune

One can find many variations on haiku these days. Often these forms attempt to find a syllabic pattern that is more appropriate to English than Japanese. Today's poetry stretch takes the form of one of these variations in the lune.
The lune is a haiku variation invented and named by poet Robert Kelly. The lune, so called because of how the right edge is bowed like a crescent moon, is a thirteen syllable form arranged in three lines of 5 / 3/ 5 respectively.
(Adapted from The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms.)

You can try your hand at writing an instant lune or read some examples by Robert Kelly here.

Here are two lunes I wrote when I woke up this morning.
Lune #1
wings beating, whirring
you float there
sipping sweet nectar

Can you guess what I was watching when I wrote this?

Lune #2
watermelon days
rush headlong
toward pencils, books, desks

I suppose none of us can escape this one. I, for one, can't wait!
So, do you want to play? What kind of lunes will you write? Post your creation(s) on your blog and then leave a link in the comments. Once we have some poems, I'll link them all here.

4 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    I'm a week behind! Here's the URL to my cento at Wild Rose Reader.

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2007/08/cento.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given it a shot, Tricia.

    http://aloneonalimb.blogspot.com/2007/08/monday-poetry-stretch-lune.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave it a try tonight - late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia,

    I'll have to experiment with lunes this week. Thanks for this Poetry Stretch!

    ReplyDelete