Monday, August 06, 2007

Celebrating Barbara Cooney

Barbara Cooney was born on this day in 1917. For more than sixty years she illustrated books for other authors, while writing and illustrating her own stories. When she died in 2000, she had created nearly 120 books. She once said:
"I want children to bubble up with laughter, or to cry over my books. I want to picture them under a cherry tree, or at the library with my book in their hands. But more, I want to see them reading in the classroom. I want to see children in solitude at their desks, absorbing, lost in a book."
I imagine she'd be thrilled to know that they are. William and I are going to mark the anniversary of her birthday with readings of Miss Rumphius and Chanticleer and the Fox. Won't you join us?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia,

    It's so nice to see someone who believes in the message of Miss Rumphius.
    Barbara Cooney has always been my favorite illustrator/author. Wouldn't it have been nice to meet her?
    I ask my childen often "What will you do to make the world a more beautiful place?"

    Roberta
    www.robertabaird.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tricia --

    I don't remember where I first ran across your blog (probably reading someone else's blog), but I added you to the few I visit daily ... and all because of the name you chose ... "The Miss Rumphius Effect." Miss Rumphius is my favorite children's book, as you can see here ... favorite children's book. Barbara Cooney was special, and so are her books. Thanks for telling us this is her birthday.

    ~~~ Bonnie
    http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/favorite-childrens-book.html

    ReplyDelete