Monday, December 17, 2007

Monday Poetry Stretch - What Words?

I am still in the midst of finals and grading, with no end currently in sight. However, grades are due by 9 am Friday, so at least I know where the finish line is. I thought it might be fun this week to try and write a poem using a specific list of words. You can choose any form you like, but you must use the words in the list. You may use them more than once and in any order. Here they are.

snow, frozen, wind, evening, woods, lake, village, farmhouse

So, will you join me? What kind of poem will you write? Leave me a comment about your efforts and I will post the results here later this week.

7 comments:

  1. OK, Tricia, here's a little one I just whipped up:

    "Whose woods these are I think I know,
    His house is in the village, though..."

    JUST KIDDING!

    I'll see if I can think of anything. This really suggests Robert Frost to me so strongly, though, that I don't know if I can!

    Thanks for posting it. :-) Happy grading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here you go. I cheated, though. I posted something I'd already written and I didn't even use all the words. I'm a bad student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had fun with this.

    Train Ride

    or

    http://havingwrit.blogspot.com/2007/12/train-ride.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great time of year to create images with these words! I have done a similar type of poetry writing with my third graders. Thanks for the chance to do some "poetry sketching".

    Village Evening

    Winds, woods, and lake howl
    As the frozen evening sets
    And snow covers snow

    ReplyDelete
  5. something must be wrong with me. Those words just conjure up the horrifying scene with Tony Makarios from The Golden Compass for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby, ha.

    Tricia, thanks for the challenge. If I have time this week, I'll take it up.

    Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to say, "Libby, ha!" (as it stands, it looks like I wasn't truly amused, which I was).

    Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete