Friday, December 07, 2007

Poetry Friday - Sleep

I am, in a word, exhausted. I stayed up nearly every night this week working until 2 am. I would get in a bit of shut eye and then get right back up again around 5 am. Wednesday night I didn't go to bed at all. I need sleep! So today, I am thinking Keats.
To Sleep
by John Keats

O soft embalmer of the still midnight!
Shutting with careful fingers and benign
Our gloom-pleased eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine;
O soothest Sleep! if so it please thee, close,
In midst of this thine hymn, my willing eyes,
Or wait the amen, ere thy poppy throws
Around my bed its lulling charities;
Then save me, or the passed day will shine
Upon my pillow, breeding many woes;
Save me from curious conscience, that still lords
Its strength for darkness, burrowing like a mole;
Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards,
And seal the hushed casket of my soul.
The round-up today is over at Becky's Book Reviews. Please stop by and check out all the great posts. Happy poetry Friday, all!

5 comments:

  1. "Save me from curious conscience, that still lords
    Its strength for darkness, burrowing like a mole; "

    AMEN!! And guard my children from it too!! LOL Sufficient unto the day... is the curiosity thereof.

    I am thanking the Good Lord that we all got three nights of more than 5 hours sleep. I hope you get some good sleep this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading that poem aloud with a hushed, careful cadence... made my muscles relax.

    Read it again, chica. Lie down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, that's an insane sleep schedule! I haven't had to do anything like that since college! Hope you get a lot of rest this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd better be sleeping instead of reading this comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'night, 'night, Tricia...
    'night, 'night...

    ReplyDelete