Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Magic of a Well-Turned Phrase

There are times when reading that I am completely overwhelmed by the sheer beauty that emerges when an author puts words together in ways I've not imagined. I am currently reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. Barely two pages in, I was struck by these words.
It was supposed to be spring; down in the small garden by the bank's entrance, the crocuses were blooming. But it had snowed earlier that morning, and the bowl of each small flower brimmed with a foam of snowflakes, like tiny cups of cappuccino.
I don't know why I love this so much, but with these words I can see those crocuses, feel the spring air, and imagine exactly what Hanna sees and feels as she presses her hand to the cold glass and looks down from the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment