Friday, March 21, 2008

Poetry Stretch Results - Terza Rima

This week's challenge was to write in the form of terza rima, a series of three-line stanzas (tercets) with the rhyme scheme aba bcb cdc ded and so on. Here's what's been shared so far.
Marianne Neilsen at Doing the Write Thing! gives us Return to Sender.

Tiel Aisha Ansari at Knocking From Inside is thinking seasonally with Spring Hat.

Noah the Great wrote about Friendship. He explains a bit saying, "Mine's short and doesn't quite make sense. Well, my last name is Champoux, (pronounced shampoo,) so I think it makes more sense, if you know that."

cloudscome at a wrung sponge shares Daffodils on a City Street.

concrete godmother at Madeleine's Child joins us for the first time (welcome!) and shares a poem in honor of Holy week entitled Trinitas.
For my contribution this week, I couldn't get the image of a fallen baby bird out of my head. My poem ends in the way I only wish it had.
I once beheld a fledgling in my hand,
some minutes after it fell from the nest,
colliding with the unforgiving land.

A sigh escaped while breath caught in my chest,
as cautiously I bent to hope, to see.
My finger gently stroked its heaving breast.

Brief words I uttered but a silent plea,
for restoration of that fragile thing,
to soar on outstretched wing from tree to tree.

To join the randy band that mornings sing,
to one day watch its own chicks test the sky,
I prayed release from this unpleasant sting!

Just like commanded it began to cry,
as I did when that baby learned to fly.
It's not too late if you still want to play. Write your terza rima and leave me a note, then I'll add your poem to the list.

2 comments:

  1. Ah poor babe! How touching to find that little feathered thing. Sweet poem. Thanks for this round up of lovely poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you said it wasn't too late, so I believed you and took the plunge. Mine's here (I hope).

    ReplyDelete