Friday, August 22, 2008

Poetry Friday - Back to School

William doesn't head back until September 2nd, but our students are back, I've met my excited, wide-eyed, nervous new advisees, and classes begin on Monday. To celebrate my return to school, here's one of my favorite back-to-school poems. You can find it in the book I Thought I'd Take My Rat to School: Poems for September to June.
Remembering:
The First Day of School
by Bobbi Katz

"Write a composition,"
said the teacher,
"about something you did
during summer vacation.
Make it two pages long
and neatness counts."

I sat there
remembering the quiet
of the giant redwoods.
Even my little brother
whispered.

"Teacher,
could I write a poem
instead?"
If you are interested in some ideas for back to school poetry, read these posts.
The round up is being hosted over at Read. Imagine. Talk. Do stop by and check out all the great poetry being shared this week. Happy poetry Friday, all!

7 comments:

  1. This is a really sweet little poem, and I like the name of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I Thought I'd Take My Rat to School..." reminds me that my daughter said her boyfriend got a pet rat. His name is Sprocket! (She likes rats, so it's okay.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited the giant redwoods a few summers ago, and it felt like being in a very holy place. Amazing.

    I'll have to look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that poem! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reminder to make assignments broad enough for all to be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great little poem! Reminds me, too, that, for my children, the most freeing thing I ever told them about writing was not to worry about neatness. Writing first, neatness at some point down the road .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great. I'm so glad you shared this. Reminds us all of the importance of choice in the classroom!!!

    ReplyDelete