Friday, December 26, 2008

Poetry Friday - December 26th

Welcome to Poetry Friday on this beautiful day. Today I'm sharing a bit of Frost. This one comes from the collection North of Boston.
Good Hours
by Robert Frost

I had for my winter evening walk—
No one at all with whom to talk,
But I had the cottages in a row
Up to their shining eyes in snow.

And I thought I had the folk within:
I had the sound of a violin;
I had a glimpse through curtain laces
Of youthful forms and youthful faces.

I had such company outward bound.
I went till there were no cottages found.
I turned and repented, but coming back
I saw no window but that was black.

Over the snow my creaking feet
Disturbed the slumbering village street
Like profanation, by your leave,
At ten o’clock of a winter eve.
Here's what folks are sharing today.

Books and Reviews
Sally from Paper Tigers shares some thoughts on poetry for parents.

John Mutford of The Book Mine Set reviews his year of reading poetry and ranks his favorites.

Carol of Carol's Corner shares a haiku from Pat Mora's book Yum! Mmmm! Mmmm! Qué Rico!.

Marietta from The Bookworm's Booklist reviews some Mother Goose and Mommy & Me CD's.

Sylvia Vardell from Poetry for Children shares her thoughts on the best poetry of 2008.
Original Poems
Tiel Aisha Ansari from Knocking from Inside gives us a poem entitled A Winter's Discontent.

Elaine of Wild Rose Reader has an original rhyming acrostic poem entitled Chameleon.

David Elzey, writing at Fomagrams, recaps his year of blogging with a found poem of his own posts. This is very cool!

Author Amok (Laura) and her daughter wrote a parody entitled We Wish it Was a 'Winter Wonderland'.

Laura Purdie Salas
rounds up all the original poems from her 15 words or less challenge.

Lorie Ann Grover of On Point shares an original haiku entitled Melting.

Over at DeoWriter, Jone also shares a few seasonal haiku.

Julie Larios from The Drift Record shares her poem entitled Months of the Year.
Poetry of Others
Over at Blue Rose Girls, Elaine shares the Naomi Shihab Nye poem Snow.

Barbara from The Write Sisters shares a Christmas classic.

Jill Corcoran gives us The Christmas Cactus by Liz Rosenberg.

Mary Lee over at A Year of Reading shares Oliver Wendell Holme's Contentment.

Over at Into the Wardrobe, Tarie gives us the T.S. Eliot poem The Journey of the Magi.

Lisa Chellman of Under the Covers shares an epigraph written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge entitled What If You Slept?.

Laura Purdie Salas shares the poem The Snake from David Elliott's book On the Farm.

Douglas Florian from the Florian Cafe is in today with two poems on mortality.

Stacey from Two Writing Teachers shares an excerpt from the Maya Angelou poem Amazing Peace.

Over at readertotz, Lorie Ann Grover has posted the nursery rhyme Come to the Window.

Erin of Miss Erin is sharing the poem she found in her Christmas stocking, Mary's Song by Luci Shaw.

Suzanne from Adventures in Daily Living is also sharing Luci Shaw's powerful poem.

Kelly Fineman of Writing and Ruminating shares my love of Frost with the sigh-inducing To Earthward.

Little Willow of Bildungsroman shares the first stanza from The Night-Piece: To Julia by Robert Herrick.
Enjoy this marvelous feast of poetry, and if I haven't said it before now, happy holidays.

26 comments:

  1. Here's one about the weather we've been having lately: A Winter's Discontent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia,

    I hope you're enjoying the semester break and the holidays! Thanks for doing the roundup this week.

    At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original rhyming acrostic poem entitled Chameleon.

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2008/12/chameleon-original-rhyming-acrostic.html


    At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Naomi Shihab Nye entitled Snow.

    http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2008/12/poetry-friday-snow-by-naomi-shihab-nye.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting. For my Poetry Friday post I've simply gone back to reflect on the poetry books I've read over past year and ranked them from favourite to least favourite. It's here: http://bookmineset.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-year-in-review-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frost has always been one of my favorites. At the Write Sisters, I have a Christmas Classic, but is it poetry or not? Check it out at

    thewritesisters.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting the Poety Friday Roundup.
    At Jill Corcoran Books I celebrate patience with Liz Rosenberg's THE CHRISTMAS CACTUS.

    http://jillcorcoran.blogspot.com/2008/12/poetry-friday-christmas-cactus-by-liz.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in with an original, a found poem of lines taken from my blog this past year.

    http://fomagrams.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/poetry-friday-an-original/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Frost you chose! Reminds me of our Christmas Day walk yesterday (minus the snow, but also NOT RAINING, praise be). It was very quiet and peaceful.

    I'm in with Contentment by Oliver Wendell Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting, Tricia. We parodied Frost's "Stopping by Woods" on our holiday card this year.

    For Poetry Friday, I have another winter parody. It's a spoof of the song "Winter Wonderland" that my 8 y.o. daughter & I wrote this week.

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2008/12/amok-in-song-parodies.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Over at Into the Wardrobe I posted "The Journey of the Magi" by T.S. Eliot. :o) Here's the link: http://peteredmundlucy7.blogspot.com/2008/12/poetry-friday-journey-of-magi-by-ts.html

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Frost is an interesting contrast to the lovely, long walk I took yesterday morning. I didn't see a soul on my way out, everyone cloistered inside opening presents I guess, but by the way back it seemed folks were finally venturing out.

    My contribution today is "What if you slept...", attributed to Coleridge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting, Tricia! Hope you had a terrific Christmas. I love Frost!

    I'm in with a very un-seasonal poem, "The Snake" (from On the Farm), by David Elliott. That's at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/119856.html.

    And a few 15 Words or Less poems on a more seasonal image are at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/119755.html.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tricia
    Thanks for rounding up all this poetry. Today I've got two poems on mortality, both humorous in their own way, but very different.
    douglas
    http://floriancafe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting! Today I'm celebrating Pat Mora's haiku collection YUM! MMMM! QUE RICO

    Carol
    carolwscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My poem is posted at http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/poetry-friday-maya-angelou/.

    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for hosting during the holidays!

    readertotz has posted Come to the Window, a nursery rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And over at my own blog I have an original haiku titled Melting.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have orginal haiku at Dewowriter:
    http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/poetry-friday-snow-snow-snow/
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for hosting Poetry Friday!

    This is my first time to participate!

    I posted about a special set of CD's that my boys and I have enjoyed for years. The CD's go along with The Original Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for hosting the roundup! Happy New Year!

    Here's my contribution:
    http://misserinmarie.blogspot.com/2008/12/poetry-friday-christmas-and-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing the Frost poem, and for rounding up. I'm sharing a lovely poem by Luci Shaw.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Late, but here. And in with Frost as well. I've got To Earthward at my blog. Here's the link info: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/361077.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy holidays! Thanks for hosting!

    Here I am.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting as 2008 closes. I've posted a quotation by Calvin Trillin and an original poem titled "Months of the Year" over at The Drift Record
    Happy 2009 to all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for hosting during this busy time. Sorry for the lateness, but I have finally posted my list of favorite poetry books (for kids) published in 2008. FYI.

    http://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved that poem, by the way, Tricia. And earlier tonight, something elsewhere in the blog world reminded me of his "Acquainted with the Night", which shares some themes with the poem you selected. It begins, "I have been one acquainted with the night/I have walked out in rain - and back in rain" (If memory serves, those are the lines, at any rate.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My first time to participate. I have tried a haiku. Hope to join in more often.
    http://unwrittenwrites.blogspot.com/2008/12/december-almost-daily-22.html

    ReplyDelete