Friday, January 09, 2009

In Case You Were Wondering ...

If you heard a barbaric YAWP in the last few hours, it was me. I just learned that I (okay, my institution) was awarded a Picturing America grant. I wrote about this program back in October. Picturing America award materials include forty images mounted on twenty double-sided, laminated posters for display and classroom use and a teachers resource book.

The images will be displayed in our Curriculum Materials Center and available for our classes, for student teachers to use in their placements, and for local K-12 teachers to use in their classrooms. I am thrilled and can't wait to begin using these materials in my classes next fall.

On another note -- Did I mention that I recently had a 3-year, million dollar grant funded? (Yes, that's $1,000,000!) This is a renewal of a program designed to better prepare urban middle school students to take on advanced courses in math and science in high school. In this iteration we are adding a professional development piece to improve the content and pedagogical knowledge of the teachers who work with these kids.

So, I guess you could say the semester is getting underway with a bang. Let's just hope it doesn't go out in a whimper.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What an exciting start to 2009!

    I hope you'll post more as you use the materials from Picturing America. It would be wonderful to hear about the different ways you, student teachers, and local teachers are using them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous! Congrats to you and your students and school! I've tried writing for a couple of fellowships, and it was hard. I know grant writing is not easy. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,
    The grantors will get great value for their $$ in your hands.
    How wonderful!
    Lucky students!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Trisha!! That is fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on both counts! Go, Tricia, Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations, Tricia! That's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on both counts. I hadn't heard about Picturing America - it sounds interesting. I just got a look at the images on the NEH site and it's a great collection. I'll have to stop by sometime to get a look at them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cannoli. That is excellent, Tricia. I am so happy for you and the U. of R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! Enjoy the good forture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you mentioned this program the other day, you didn't mention how much $ was involved. Wow! I knew that you were a great teacher and adminstrator, but I did not know your skills extended to administering such grants! I want to hear more about how the program works, and especially interested to hear more about the faculty development component.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky students! Lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My library was awarded the NEH ALA Picturing America Collection. It's simply amazing, really beautiful and the curriculum that accompanies it is very well written and aligned to National Standards. Enjoy-- you're going to love it. BTW - -Would you share the name of the other grant? I'm the librarian in a prek-8th grade school and we could probably use some of that money.... Watching Tess at the moment -- I love the images, so rich, pastoral and lovely hued. The music is enchanted. Hope you're enjoying the show.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tricia,

    Congratulations on being awarded both grants! Picturing America sounds like a wonderful program.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woot! Congratulations, Tricia. Fabulous start to a new year:>)

    ReplyDelete