Friday, April 24, 2009

Poetry Friday - A Lazy Day

Before I launch into my poetry post for today, let me remind you of the Poetry Makers series happening here every day in April. In honor of poetry Friday there are TWO poets featured today. They are Minnesota's very own Lisa Westberg Peters and Laura Purdie Salas.

Alright, on with the regularly scheduled poetry post!
-------------------------
I'm still reading The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar. Since I'm longing for a day off, this poem seemed particularly appropriate today.
A Lazy Day
by Paul Laurence Dunbar

The trees bend down along the stream,
Where anchored swings my tiny boat.
The day is one to drowse and dream
And list the thrush's throttling note.
When music from his bosom bleeds
Among the river's rustling reeds.

No ripple stirs the placid pool,
When my adventurous line is cast,
A truce to sport, while clear and cool,
The mirrored clouds slide softly past.
The sky gives back a blue divine,
And all the world's wide wealth is mine.

A pickerel leaps, a bow of light,
The minnows shine from side to side.
The first faint breeze comes up the tide—
I pause with half uplifted oar,
While night drifts down to claim the shore.
The round up is being hosted by Lisa Chellman at under the covers. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday, all!

4 comments:

  1. I had to look up what a pickerel actually is --!

    That day off is coming! Hang in there! This drowsy poetic day will soon be yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of The Wind in the Willows, when Ratty and Mole are "messing about in boats." I want to be there right now! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems greedy to wish for a day off with the end of the school year so close at hand, but...I'm with you. I just need a LAZY day, not a day off to get caught up on work, a LAZY day. (Can I even remember what that's like???)

    ReplyDelete