Friday, February 27, 2015

Poetry Friday - A Miracle for Breakfast

Next week the Poetry Seven will share the sestinas we have been working on. This is a tough, tough form. While writing, I looked for good examples for inspiration. The poem A Miracle for Breakfast by Elizabeth Bishop is probably my favorite. In the video below you can hear it read and reflect along with Michael Joyce, Professor of English at Vassar College, on the poem's meaning.


I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe. Happy poetry Friday friends!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck, Brave Poet. I've not attempted a sestina before. Really enjoyed this video and explication, making Bishop's poem all the more rich. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this video clip, dear Tricia. First I'm hearing of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this: love the poem, love the professor, love the sestina (about which, someday when we have time, I'll tell you a short but important story.) Makes me want to rush off and join the Poetry Seven in writing one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of Bishop's poetry never ceases to amaze me. I loved listening to Professor Joyce read and share his thoughts about this poem. Looking forward to your sestina, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what a delight - both the poem and the professor's talk about form and poetic intent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the sestina! A miracle indeed, when it works! Excited to read your poems, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete