Saturday, March 28, 2015

2015 National Poetry Month Project - The Lowdown

I'm revving up for the kickoff of National Poetry Month in just a few short days. Here's what I've done in the past.
  • 2014 - Science Poetry Pairings - project pairing poetry and nonfiction picture books
  • 2013 - Poetry A-Z - project covering a range of thematic posts with poetry titles selected by adjectives like xeric, penitent, impish, collaborative, and more. 
  • 2011 - Poetry in the Classroom - project highlighting a poem, a theme, a book, or a poet and suggesting ways to make poetry a regular part of life in the classroom.
  • 2010 and 2009 - Poetry Makers - project containing interviews with poets who write for children (and sometimes adults!).
  • 2008 - Poetry in the Classroom - project highlighting a poem, a theme, a book, or a poet and suggesting ways to make poetry a regular part of life in the classroom.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about my topic for this year and have spent time looking at a range of poetry for kids. After embarking on a year-long writing challenge with my poetry group, coupled with participating in and following the March Madness poetry event, I’ve decided that I want to focus on poetic forms. 

One of the things I love about Poetry 180 is that it provides such a range of topics and forms for classrooms. However, it is focused for high schools. I want to shine a spotlight on forms other than strictly rhyming (though rhyme is perfectly fine) for the elementary and middle school classroom. I love rhyme just as much as the next person, but I worry that much of the poetry parents select for kids and teachers select for classrooms is chosen simply because it rhymes. And I don’t want the merit or “goodness” of poetry judged simply on this trait. Kids need to be exposed to poets old (classic) and new, poems funny and serious, in the glorious range that exists. Poetry for kids can be smart and challenging and I want to highlight this aspect.

In addition to focusing on forms, I'll also be sharing the thoughts of selected poets. I can't wait for April to begin! I hope you'll stop by to see what I've thrown together.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, this will be a great month! I am off to share this post with teachers. Thank you, Tricia! You are always so generous and thoughtful. Happy eve of Poetry Month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in! I want to expose my gifted elementary students to a large selection of poetry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great, Tricia. I just started a poetry group in my class & will share what you share with them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I have been looking for. We have a summer camp for our gifted students and I have decided to do a poetry session for elementary students. I need to sharpen my skills and find some new forms to play with. I can't wait to see what you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing!!! I'm so excited!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to this, Tricia. You always have such a wealth of resources. Thanks so much for all you do to promote poetry in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Just what we need. I will share your work with my 3rd and 4th grade Poetry Club!
    Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia, you're work on behalf of children's poetry humbles me. I'm so grateful to you, and so is the community! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the kind words! I can't wait to share with you.

    ReplyDelete