Friday, May 04, 2018

Poetry Friday - Toasting with My Poetry Sisters

Sara issued our challenge this month, which was to "write a pithy (or extended) toast to someone or something that could be recited on some occasion. You may use a form or not, as you see fit, but the toast must begin and end with the same two words."

Sigh ... I've never written a toast in my life, so I found this a bit daunting. Heck, I find most of our challenges daunting! The hardest bit for me was finding an appropriate topic. I fiddled for a long time, trying to find something I actually wanted to celebrate. Here's what I ended up with.

A Toast To My Sisters

A toast to my sisters
who see with keen eyes
the smallest details
from the ground to the sky

A toast to my sisters
who wrestle with words
and wrangle with meter
that begs to be heard

A toast to my sisters
who write it all down
then revise and rework
every verb, every noun

A toast to my sisters
who follow their hearts
give voice to the voiceless
emotion to art

To my poetry sisters
though we're miles apart
I raise up a glass to
offer my heart
and a toast.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2018. All rights reserved.

You can read the pieces written written by my poetry sisters at the links below. 
I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Brenda Davis Harsham at Friendly Fairy Tales. Happy poetry Friday friends.

6 comments:

  1. "A toast to my sisters
    who follow their hearts
    give voice to the voiceless
    emotion to art."

    I think that one's mine, since I'm the queen of emo (usually mopey) in my poetry. I like this - and yes, oh, yes, THIS WAS HARD. I know I say that every time, but... seriously. I've no experience with toasts at all!

    Still: I'm proud of us. We came, we saw, etc. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your toast is wonderful-thank you for making the effort to try something new. I still consider myself a newbie to poetry in general, and often feel, as I sit down to write, that I really don't know what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Tanita...that verse about "voice to the voiceless" is just lovely! I, too, found this challenging, and was second-guessing myself for proposing it. But now I'm not sorry, as I have this beautiful poem from you. Lifting a glass right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooo Tricia. A toast to YOU!!! I love this poem and it makes tear up a little. We're so lucky to have poetry -- and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers to the poetry sisters, who enrich OUR lives with their writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very heartfelt. I am an only child, so I loved reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete