Friday, June 01, 2018

Poetry Friday - Writing Limericks with My Sisters

Tanita issued our challenge this month, which was to write limericks (3!) on the topic of bees and birds.

As usual, I wrote these at the last minute. I enjoy writing limericks because it's really the only time I allow myself to be silly when writing poetry. I suppose I should take this as encouragement to be silly a bit more often in my writing.

Here's what I ended up with.

There once was a bird in a tree
Who looked down unkindly on me
     He rose into the sky
     And shat in my eye
Then returned to his branch filled with glee


There once was a bee in my room
Drawn by the sweet scent of perfume
     He buzzed through the night
     Kept me up ’till dawn’s light
Then in anger my shoe spelled his doom


In a fruit basket near a ripe plum
Flew a bee round and round with a hum
     I swatted and swore
     But he knew the score
And repaid me by stinging my bum

Poems ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2018. All rights reserved.

You can read the pieces written written by my poetry sisters at the links below. 
I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Buffy Silverman at Buffy's Blog. Happy poetry Friday friends.

9 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Oh, dear! What violence you have captured here. These reminded me a bit of Roald Dahl. And the time a gull pooped on Randy's head when he was in the Bahamas doing an important interview. "It's good luck!" everyone insisted. Not MY kind of good luck. Thanks for the laugh:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what Laura said...the swatting and the stinging and the shatting....I hope you feel better, venting that. I know I do, reading and giggling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I gave you the wrong link for mine. Sorry! It's: http://saralewisholmes.blogspot.com/2018/06/poetry-friday-trio-of-limericks.html

      Delete
  3. I am laughing OUT LOUD right now. That first one is my favorite but these are all brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to limerick...
    You should always take a silly poem break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I love it that the bee got revenge in the third one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All you princesses have had a lot of fun this week--these made me grin (but your poor eye, your poor bum! It's rough being a limericist.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! What violence--and such fun. Watch out for those birds and bees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Such conflict - such drama! And, such fun. Thanks for sharing and for hosting this week. (I just have a post pointing to yours... still getting back in the swing of things after traveling!) Happy July. :0)

    ReplyDelete