Friday, August 28, 2020

Poetry Sisters Look Back

This month's challenge was to pick one of our old poems to revise and/or write a new poem in conversation with it. I went back to a post from May of 2016. Here's how that challenge was defined.

This month the Poetry Seven crew wrote in the form of the tritina. The tritina is composed of 3 tercets and a final line (envoi) that stands alone. Similar to a sestina, though shorter, it uses a set of 3 alternating end words instead of six. The form is: ABC / CAB / BCA / A, B, and C (final line/envoi).

The words we chose from were selected by Tanita. They were: 
     sweet, cold, stone, hope, mouth, thread

I wrote 2 poems back then, one for my father and one for sheer fun. 

Looking back on these old challenges to find a poem to revisit, I was inspired by the words Tanita selected and decided to have another go at this one. Here's my new poem. It was written to this photo.
Stonewall Jackson's plinth, photo by Ryan Patterson

Running Monument Ave
I hold a spark of hope
as I pass by stone
bases, empty and cold

I know this route cold
run it with hope
I won't trip on the stones

In this city, hearts made of stone
send messages cold
quash seeds of hope

But cold stone statues fall, and hope still rises.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2020. All rights reserved.

You can read the pieces written by my Poetry Sisters at the links below. As usual, life has gotten in the way for some folks, but they'll be back for other challenges. 
If you’d like to write with us next month, the theme is ponderous, or an image of a hippo. You may use any form you like. We will be posting on the last Friday of the month (September 25th) and would love to have you join us.

I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe. Happy poetry Friday friends!

12 comments:

  1. We don't often praise "empty" things, but this time it is a good act to praise & know it's okay to pass by and not trip. Interesting to use those same words, Tricia, in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I wish I could take more credit for deep thoughts, but a large stretch of Monument Ave is paved with Cobblestones, and they make for a difficult run sometimes, so that's where the "hope I won't trip on the stones" comes from.

      Delete
  2. It's so funny - I chose those words while thinking of summer - Coldstone Creamery, basically, and the stone - marble - they mix the sweet ice cream on.

    You've put those words to much better use, wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the envoi line and the image you attached. So powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, your ending thought is timely speaking to the issue of political unrest. The 3 words are woven tightly around your theme. I am wondering if you started your poem and then found a photo ot the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the photo in passing on Instagram. When I was searching for a poem to revise, I came across this old post and instantly thought of the photo and knew that the words would fit perfectly. It's rare that this flash of insight happens, however!

      Delete
  5. Wow. You really made something new with those words. So powerful and timely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your re-vision of those words and this picture are inspired. Brava! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem and photo! It's so moving and interesting what is happening to monuments now, so overdue. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia, I think you did an amazing job with this tritina! Wow. And that photo. Everything falls together so seemlessly--it looks effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the cold, stone, base still stands there… perhaps there's hope inside waiting to come out… Your three words, cold, stone, and hope send a powerful and timely message.

    ReplyDelete