Thursday, July 03, 2008

Poetry Stretch Results - Six Words

The challenge this week was to write a poem containing the five words sky, knot, fork, wall, and rose, as well as either trumpet or bullet as the sixth word. Here are the results.
Amy left this poem in the comments.
A wall leans against the sky
A single rose wilts
A trumpet weeps
A knot strangles my heart
… an unwanted fork in my road
Laura Purdie Salas wrote a lovely poem entitled My Chapel. Then she followed it up with this poem in the comments.
screams struggle in tangled knot
bullet escapes

forks left

wall of relief holds the sky
keeps it from falling

today
The talented Tiel Aisha Ansari wrote a sestina in less than 24 hours! I have been studying and experimenting with this form, so I know how difficult it can be. I bow before her and the amazing Trumpet Rose. (Can you hear Wayne and Garth in the background?)

cloudscome at a wrung sponge also wrote a sestina. It is called Day's End. (For all you Princesses out there, take note that this is her SECOND sestina. The rest of us have some serious catching up to do!)
I wrote several poems for this challenge. Here is the one I like best.
She imagined riding on a bullet train
instead of this creeping coach car,
sweet silence broken by crying children,
strains of muffled music, and the buzz of
constant chatter.

She stared out the window,
eyes locked on the swirl and
knot of a flock ascending--
an immense black wall of
feet and feathers,
wings and wind.

Once the sky grayed and opened,
she traced the heavy drops
rolling in forked rivers and streams
down the glass.

Hours later, lulled by the hum of
steel wheels and whispered voices,
she nodded off, having missed
the rose sunset that quietly follows
a summer rain.
It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a comment about your poem and I'll add it to the list.

2 comments:

  1. These are really beautiful poems! Trisha I love your train poem. I wrote a sestina too, and posted it for Friday Poetry. Great set of words in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is gorgeous. I esp love an immense black wall of
    feet and feathers,
    wings and wind.

    Wow. And then falling asleep. The things we miss...

    Hope your week has improved some.

    ReplyDelete