Thursday, March 26, 2009

Poetry Stretch Results - Triolet

The challenge this week was to write in the form of a triolet. Here are the results.
Jane Yolen abandoned this one in the comments.
    This is the morning after his death
    Though three years in the past.
    I watched him take his final breath,
    But this is the morning after his death.
    There is no height, nor underneath,
    There is no slow, there is no fast,
    Only this morning after his death,
    Though three years in the past.
Tiel Aisha Ansari at Knocking From Inside has two poems to share. The first, Savanna Dust, is serious, while the second, Spaetzle Triolet, is goofy (her words, not mine).

Tess at Written for Children shared this poem in the comments.
    Little Triolet with Toilet

    Marcel Duchamp he had his fun
    Fur-rimmed cups for drinking tea
    The Fountain critics chose to shun
    Marcel Duchamp, he had his fun
    In time his eye/intellect had won
    But his Selavy art still startles me
    Marcel Duchamp he had his fun
    Fur-rimmed cups for drinking tea!
Kelly Polark left this rockin' poem in the comments.
    ROCK CONCERT PREMIERE

    The guitar chords blast,
    the bass pounds in my chest.
    My glad heart beats fast.
    The guitar chords blast.
    I forget my past.
    I rock with the best.
    The guitar chords blast,
    the bass pounds in my chest.
Julie Larios of The Drift Record also left a poem in the comments.
    A Duo of Triolets

    How does a poet look?
    The answer’s with his eyes
    or like a thief stealing souls. Just look
    at how the poet looks
    at life, as if he were a two-bit crook,
    casing the joint, cold as ice.
    How does a poet look?
    The answer’s always in the eyes.

    How does a poet smell?
    The answer’s either like a rose
    or well (which is adverbial,
    as in How does a poet smell?
    He smells well with his nose.) Smells well
    when, on the surface, nothing shows.
    As in A poet sometimes smells
    a question, when the answer is a rose.
Pratibha at Of something 'n' Everything shares a poem entitled Our Marriage. Welcome Pratibha!

Jacqueline at The Neverending Story shares two triolets entitled Love is not blind.

Winnie the Poohi at Song of my life shares a poem called A Road. Welcome Winnie!

Lisa Chellman at under the covers gives us the poem Swing Song.

cloudscome at a wrung sponge wrote a birthday poem for her youngest. It's called Birthday Boy.
When I posted this challenge I mentioned that this form "scares the heck out of me." Much like the pantoum and villanelle, I find the repetition hard to deal with and just don't feel like I understand it yet. (Mechanically I get it, but what comes out is just too prosaic.) Here are two attempts at a form that I can't seem to master. *Sigh*
Pearls of green drip from the willow
as the gowns of spring emerge
through receding ice and snow.
Pearls of green drip from the willow,
flowers bloom, new seedlings grow—
earth’s renewal begins to surge.
Pearls of green drip from the willow
as the gowns of spring emerge.


What will it take
to finally know peace?
Do you know what’s at stake?
How much can we take
of the senseless heartache
before wars cease?
What will it take
to finally know peace?
It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll add it to the list.

6 comments:

  1. These are really wonderful! I had fun writing a birthday poem for my four year old this week in the triolet form. I'm posting it for Friday Poetry tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A road without an end
    Beckons me to an exciting adventure
    It starts down that bend
    A road without an end.
    With no business to attend
    Indeed is a profitable venture
    A road without an end
    Beckons me to an exciting adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only way to do these triolets is to understand that the word "repeated" in the formula (Line One repeated as Line Four, etc.) is not hard and fast, but flexible - that is, those lines are not repeated like a tape-recorder, but repeated like an echo, allowing for very slight changes. For me, that's the way a triloet works best. Pantoums, which feel more chanted & incantatory, need the repetitions to be exact - they work to put the reader in a trance, in a way, so the poet is like a hypnotist. But the triolet can play, so I like to "bend" the repetitions when I do one - some people might say I cheat :-) but I think there are all kinds of "repetitions" - an echo is one kind, and it is never the same as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie. This is helpful advice. I'm just going to have to keep working on this form. (To which I say UGH!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really like your peace poem, Tricia!

    I was strict with the repetition, too, just to see how it went... I ended up with this, Swing Song". Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. REading these inspires me to try this style....I did not get to it this week. Wrote a pantuom instead.

    ReplyDelete