Monday, March 02, 2009

Monday Poetry Stretch - Personal Ad Poetry

How do you know when you’re addicted to poetry? For me, it’s when a poem or idea for a poem pops into your head in the most unlikeliest of times and/or places. Yesterday it was during 8:30 mass. I know, I should have been paying attention, but my mind wandered and voila! I was thinking poetry.

Here’s what came out.
Winter sleeper
spring peeper

champion hopper
eyes copper

log squatter
loves water

eats flies
swimming prize
winner
This needs a lot of work but it got me thinking, wouldn’t it be fun to write a personal ad about your favorite animal or historical figure? I have lots of ideas swimming around in my head, and now, I hope you do too.

So, your challenge for the week is to write a little personal ad poetry. Leave me a note about your poem and I’ll post the results here later this week. Have fun!

10 comments:

  1. You ask, dear poet friend, and you get. This was a great deal of fun.

    Wanted for Single Gentleman

    Need a house poet,
    Somewhat shy--
    I’m not a forward
    Kind of guy—
    To slip around
    Our Amherst house
    As quiet as
    A wainscot mouse.

    If she could bake,
    That’s quite a plus,
    I’m not a man to
    Make a fuss.
    I’m rather fond
    Of gingerbread.
    Or she could bake
    Black cake instead.

    A uniform
    Would be just right.
    Perhaps she’d always
    Dress in white.
    I’m not particular,
    You see,
    I just want me
    An Emily.


    copyright Jane Yolen 2009 I guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mass IS poetry, right? Your mind wasn't wandering...it was expanding. :)

    This is a great idea and a charming poem. I can even see it illustrated with a dapper frog (trying to lure in a princess with his ad, perhaps?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea. Wow! Jane came up with a fantastic poem and so fast! My eighth graders would love writing personal ad poems. We did Facebook pages for The Outsider characters, and it was a big hit. I'm already thinking of many ways I could use this idea with them. I'll give it a go and see if I get anything worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that someone else's minds wanders during Mass or church service...I keep a notebook. Sometimes the sermon words inspire.
    The poetry popping into your head, that was me last week and yet I am still thinking on the "In the Kitchen" prompt (from a couple of months ago).
    Love the idea of the personal ad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only did your prompt insprire me but so did Jane's poem...I loved it. Mine can be found at
    http://poet4kids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was up far too late doing this one, but I had a blast with it.

    http://havingwrit.blogspot.com/2009/03/wanted.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! I couldn't resist doing it right now: http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/135822.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia,

    I just posted my personal ad poem at Wild Rose Reader. I didn't follow the rules...exactly--as usual. My personal ad poem was composed by a fairy godmother.

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2009/03/fairy-for-hire-original-poem.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, since Elaine didn't quite follow the rules (about using animals as the foil) I'll post mine about the personal ad of a magician.
    It's over at The Drift Record

    ReplyDelete