Friday, March 27, 2009

Poetry Friday - How to Change a Frog Into a Prince

I've been in a fairy tale kind of mood and so am reading books and poetry appropriate to the topic. Today I'm sharing something terrific from The Poets' Grimm: 20th Century Poems from Grimm's Fairy Tales.
How to Change a Frog Into a Prince
by Anna Denise

Start with the underwear. Sit him down.
Hopping on one leg may stir unpleasant memories.
If he gets his tights on, even backwards, praise him.
Fingers, formerly webbed, struggle over buttons.

Read the entire poem.
The round up this week is hosted by the inimitable Julie Larios at The Drift Record. Do stop by and take in all the wonderful poems being shared. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday, all!

8 comments:

  1. I need to read this whole book of poetry and/or more from Anna Denise, 'cause this one makes me laugh - and cringe a bit, actually. I'm not sure I like thinking of the realities of the whole frog/prince thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, man, I loved that poem. Mostly because my little tadpole isn't a baby anymore, but a full-grown, about to be college-bound prince. So true about the awkward stages---but our job as moms is to keep seeing the crown. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! I'm picturing my classroom full of tadpoles that are struggling into princedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love.
    Laughing a little...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL another motherly take on this poem - I think I need to be reminded of these words of wisdom every morning. Start with the underwear. Sit him down. Relax...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this! Especially,
    "Do not use tadpole as a term of endearment."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this poem! Though I admit I read it more as a princess/girl/woman waiting for her prince/boy/man to outgrow his silly, froglike, childish habits (maybe he plays Frogger 7 hours a day or something?).

    Huh. Maybe that says more about me than the poem!

    ReplyDelete