Thursday, August 13, 2009

Poetry Stretch Results - What We Wear

The challenge this week was to write a poem about an article of clothing. What fun we had! Here are the results.
Laura Purdie Salas shares two poems this week.

Diane M. Davis shares a poem entitled Ode to felt, and other oddities.

Julie Larios of The Drift Record shares a poem entitled Touriste.

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater left this poem in the comments.
    Stocking Hat

    Auntie knit
    me a hat
    in lemon
    and peach.
    Stripe
    by
    stripe
    down
    my
    back
    inch
    by
    inch
    it
    can
    reach
    to
    my
    knees.
    I can flip it fast
    over my shoulder
    like the hair
    I will have
    someday...

    when I'm older.
Jane Yolen also left a poem in the comments.
    Mittens v Gloves

    Mittens make my fingers
    meet
    like best of friends
    out on
    the street.
    Gloves,
    on the other hand,
    are like cousins
    you can not
    stand.

    ©2009 Jane Yolen
Cindy Blair left this poem in the comments.
    baby socks so cute and tiny
    with soft padded feet and toenails shiny
    one sock could be a finger puppet
    or a mitten for your little moppet
    raining or snowing
    sunny or wind blowing
    baby socks will be
    the comfort they need
Elaine Magliaro of Wild Rose Reader left this poem in the comments.
    TALKING TO MYSELF WHILE SHOPPING FOR A BATHING SUIT

    What to do
    When you're sixty-two
    And sporting post-middle-age spread?
    You know that the thong,
    My dear, is all wrong!
    Just peek in the mirror. Nuff said?
Tiel Aisha Ansari of Knocking From Inside shares a poem entitled The Mortician's Son, on the Custom of Burying Bodies Barefoot.

Harriet from spynotes shares a poem about a hat.

Linda of Write Time shares a poem entitled Last Year's Sneakers.
I wrote several poems this week. Here's one about a beloved skirt.
In a corner of the attic
an old blue trunk
holds a skirt--
white with liberty bells,
American flags,
patriot hats
and all manner of
red, white and blue

Made for me by
the lady next-door
because there were no
sewing machines
in the hospital

My bicentennial solo
derailed by a heart attack

Thirty-three years later
I still know the songs
and long to
fit in that skirt
and sing to my mom.
It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll it to the list.

2 comments:

  1. So much creativity! Enjoyed these poems a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--why not collect these as starters for an anthology--and pitch it to (say) Candlewick.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete