Friday, January 07, 2011

Poetry Friday - Monotone

I've been reading Sandburg this week, so I'm sharing a poem I can't seem to get out of my mind.
Monotone
by Carl Sandburg

The monotone of the rain is beautiful,
And the sudden rise and slow relapse
Of the long multitudinous rain.

The sun on the hills is beautiful,
Or a captured sunset sea-flung,
Bannered with fire and gold.

A face I know is beautiful—
With fire and gold of sky and sea,
And the peace of long warm rain.
The round up is being hosted by Irene Latham at Live. Love. Explore!. Do stop by and take in all the wonderful poetry being shared. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

7 comments:

  1. The monotone of the rain IS beautiful. Don't you love it when a poem gets stuck in your brain?? Not monotone at all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. That is so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem. I can see why it's hard to get out of your head. Thanks for sharing it.
    -Callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a perfectly lovely poem to have stuck in your head. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem. Sandburg's birthday was yesterday, I think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is new to me. I like it A LOT--thank you.

    It's funny how a great poem can get stuck in your head just like a great song, isn't it?

    By the way your blog is terrific; it has helped me tremendously in my teaching, writing, and my own blogging. Maybe someday I'll qualify for the M.R.E. blogroll??? One can dream! :)

    ReplyDelete