Friday, April 08, 2011

Poetry Stretch Results - Going Buggy!

The challenge this week was to wrote a bug-inspired poem. Here are the results.
Tall Moth Tale
by Heidi Mordhorst of my juicy little universe

Come quick--
I found something,
beating its wings
so violently
against the window"
I could hear it
on the stairs!

I think I know
what it is--
a Giant Moon Moth
the size of my thumb.
It's completely white and
camouflages against the moon;

Come; we'd better
let it out, before
the violent beating
of its wings
shatters the window--


J. Patrick Lewis stopped by to share a poem! Huzzah!

Butterfly and Moth
by J. Patrick Lewis

Butterflies wear designer suits.
Moths get theirs at K-Mart.
Butterflies are rainbow beauts.
Moths all wear the same art.

Butterflies migrate nonstop.
Moths are not so daring.
Butterflies sip flower pop.
Moths eat what you’re wearing.


BETWEEN SEASONS
By Steven Withrow of Crackles of Speech

Twin lady beetles
Climbing the winter window—
Come back, warm red June!


dragonfly days
by Carolyn Arcabascio

while ants have leaves for draggin' I
just zig on breezes zaggin' by
and while I don't like braggin' why
it's great to be a dragonfly

© Carolyn Arcabascio, 2011. All rights reserved.


AFTER FLYING AWAY
by Diane Mayr of Random Noodling

Mother, do not let your
grief overwhelm you.

Let not your guilt
cripple you. You did

your best. You picked
the hops for its juicy

aphids. You gave your
children a good start.

That's all a coccinellid
can do. For the farmer

the decision was easy--
let the children burn.

Save the beer!

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved



Little Brother Lament
by Kate Coombs of Book Aunt

My brother really bugs me—
he pokes me with his wings.
He tickles me with all six legs,
and when I sleep, he sings.

He's got a whiny, buzzy voice.
He gives me sticky hugs.
I fly away, he follows me.
My brother really bugs.

--Kate Coombs, 2011, all rights reserved



THE FLY
by Carol Weis

Oh me, oh my, I see a fly,
Buzz 'round my window pane,
Why it's been there, a year, I swear,
It's driving me insane.

© Carol Weis, all rights reserved


Elaine of Wild Rose Reader has written a post highlighting many of the insect poems she has written.

Mad Kane shares an insect related acrostic limerick.
It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll add it to the list.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great! Couldn't resist - I left a late entry on Monday's post. Thanks for all the Poetry Month fun here this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, the brother poem particularly tickles me. I chuckled - he sounds so annoyingly human.

    These are all so great!
    And, I fear I shall soon have sad evidence of J. Patrick Lewis and those moths. I have found loads in the closet lately. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete