Thursday, April 11, 2019

NPM 2019 Day 11: Mirror

I have a great fondness for poems related to fairy tales. Here's a poem I wrote using Eve Merriam's poem "Apple" as a mentor text. The last stanza isn't as punchy as Merriam's, but I'm still working on this one.

Apple
by Eve Merriam

Apple,
sweet apple,
what do you hide?
Wormy and
squirmy,
rotten inside.

Apple,
sweet apple,
so shiny and red,
taste it,
don't waste it,
come and be fed.

Delicious,
malicious;
one bite and
you're dead.
Mirror

Mirror,
dear mirror,
what do you see?
Choose now the
fairest,
let it be me.

Mirror,
wise mirror,
voice so compelling,
look into the future,
my beauty
foretelling.

Mirror
poor mirror,
your future I see.
If I’m not the
fairest then
shattered you’ll be.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2019. All rights reserved.


Happy Thursday all. See you tomorrow for another original poem.

1 comment:

  1. SOMEDAY I want to go through POISONED APPLES by Christine Heppermann and try to work up something like this - I LOVE poetry on fairytales, and I think it's super relatable to tween readers.

    ReplyDelete