Tuesday, April 16, 2019

NPM 2019 Day 16: A Poem on Time

Today I'm sharing a poem I wrote of draft of nearly 10 years ago for one of my weekly poetry challenges. The theme was time and I wrote about how quickly time seemed to be passing as I watched my son grow. Well, that son is now on the cusp of adulthood, preparing to graduate from high school, so it seemed appropriate to dust this one off and revise.

Untitled

On the day you entered this world
sand in the hourglass of life
dropped to the bare bottom
stacking grain upon grain
building a tiny hill.

Unable to flip the glass
(oh how I wish I could!)
I watch the hill grow taller.

I long to narrow the neck
slow the march of time
that steals childhood
propels you to eighteen.


Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2019. All rights reserved.


Happy Tuesday all. See you tomorrow for another original poem.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect there were also days you wanted to speed it up!
    But since I "met" your boy when he was ten and had lost a pet, it does seem astonishingly quick that he's so old now.

    ReplyDelete