Monday, April 29, 2019

NPM 2019 Day 29: Scenes From a Train

Today I'm sharing a poem I wrote for a 2008 challenge that required using the five words sky, knot, fork, wall, and rose, as well as either trumpet or bullet as the sixth word. I recently dusted this one off and revised it. 

Scenes From a Train
She imagined riding on a bullet train
not in this creeping coach filled with
the sounds of screaming kids,
strains of muffled music, and
buzz of constant chatter.

She stared out the window,
eyes locked on the swirl and
knot of a flock ascending--
an immense black wall of
feet and feathers, wings and wind.

When the sky grayed and opened,
she traced the heavy drops,
rolling in forked rivers and streams
down the glass.

Hours later, lulled by the hum of
steel wheels and whispered voices,
she nodded off and missed
the rose and orange sunset
that quietly followed the summer rain.

Unfazed by all these events,
large and small,
within and without,
the train traveled on.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2008-2019. All rights reserved.


Happy Monday all. See you tomorrow for the wrap-up of National Poetry Month and one more original poem.

2 comments:

  1. Love the details in this full narrative. I always THOUGHT I'd want to go on a bullet train until I just rode a fast one between London and Glasgow - and was queasy all five hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd enjoy a bullet train. I love getting to see the countryside on a slow train. You'd miss all that on a high speed rail.

      Delete