Friday, September 18, 2009

Poetry Friday - Rereading Frost

Sometimes when I write I am reminded of this verse from Ecclesiastes:
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
I'll admit that this comes to me when I'm at a loss for words, or the right words, or the right way to order them. I find myself thinking that there cannot be another way to say what I want, because it's probably been said already. But then, I look at my bookshelves and see all the wonderful new books and stories that keep pouring out of people's heads and hearts and I keep writing.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only person who's ever felt this way. Over at How a Poem Happens you'll find a poem by Linda Pastan entitled Rereading Frost. It begins this way.
Sometimes I think all the best poems
have been written already,
and no one has time to read them,
so why try to write more?

At other times though,
I remember how one flower
in a meadow already full of flowers
somehow adds to the general fireworks effect

Read the entire poem and Pastan's thoughts about the writing of it.
The round up this week is hosted by Becky of Becky's Book Reviews. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

6 comments:

  1. To everything there is a season, even writing and reading poetry. Without the fallow periods, how would we grow?

    I love that poem too. Makes a little *ding* inside me like that orchestra triangle she writes of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "one flower
    in a meadow already full of flowers
    somehow adds to the general fireworks effect"


    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
    Keep writing, Tricia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that first stanza is so totally me but she says it so much nicer than I have.

    Thank you for sharing this and introducing me to that How a Poem Happens blog which is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of us has something significant to say even if it's been said before in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Susan, the first stanza is me. I constantly struggle with trying to decide if I should confine my writing to the pages of my journal or take a chance of looking foolish by posting them.

    Tricia, I say this from my heart, your poems are lovely, and I enjoy them very much. Keep writing.

    Susan, Hugging the Rock brought tears to my eyes. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Thanks so much for the kind words about Hugging the Rock. A lot of tears went into the writing of it too.

    ReplyDelete