Saturday, September 12, 2009

Should Writers Keep a Journal?

I've been a fan of the site Grammar Girl for some time now. I often listen to the podcast while I'm in the kitchen cooking. While the information is often about word choice and general grammar, once in a while there are interesting bits about writing in general. As an avid keeper of a writing journal, yesterday's post/podcast provided a great deal of food for thought. Give a listen to Should Writers Keep a Journal?.

For some other thoughts on writing journals and journal writing (both pro and con), try these sites:

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the link, Tricia! I haven't kept a journal in a while--a few years, really--and I'd been feeling guilty about it. I'm still probably not going to keep one for a while, but I won't feel guilty any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't keep a journal, but I've started one a million times. I think it's an important thing to do if you have kids. I have my mother's journal and I'd have to say that if my house was burning to the ground, and I could only save one physical object, that would be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't keep a journal and I guess it's because my life gets so hectic at times that I do not find the time to really commit to one. I hope that one of these days I will be able to make that commitment because that is something that I think I would like to leave for my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the words 'writers journal'. I've always dreamed of holding my published book in one hand while clutching my trusty journal to my chest (it has a red leather cover in my dream) with the other hand.
    The reality? I do have a published book somewhere, but I need both hands to untangle the mess of paper scraps and sticky notes while trying not to smudge the flashes of inpiration written on my palms.
    Oh well, it's a good thing dreams are free.
    Maureen Hume. www.thepizzagang.com

    ReplyDelete