Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday Poetry Stretch - Tripadi

I've embarked these last few weeks on exploring poetic forms that I've never written before, and in many cases, never even knew existed. This week I've chosen to explore tripadi.

Tripadi is a form of Bengali Poetry. It originated in Eastern India sometime in the 10th century. The tripadi is a written in stanzas with any number of tercets. Here are the requirements of a tripadi.
  • Each tercet is generally a sentence of 20 or 26 syllables
  • A tercet is broken into lines of 6-6-8 or 8-8-10 syllables. 
  • The rhyme scheme is: aax / bbx / ccx, etc.

You can read more about this form and see an example at Poetry Magnum Opus.

I hope you'll join me this week in writing a tripadi. Please share a link to your poem or the poem itself in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. PHONE CALL
    My best friend’s taken by another guy,
    I scream at the universe asking why?
    Only course of action is to call Mom,

    “Son, I know you’re hurting, try to pull through,
    Trust that there’s someone waiting just for you.”
    Her words soothe my soul like a healing balm.

    (c) Charles Waters 2015 all rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring

    Blossoms come like spring snow,
    drifts of white. Soon they go,
    leaving sweet green leaves filled with sun.

    —Kate Coombs, 2015
    all rights reserved

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another new form to try! Once I recover from the raccontino, which I did actually like, I hope to try this, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete