Wednesday, May 21, 2008

For My Teacher Friends

I am busily preparing for classes that begin next week while also working with some classroom teachers who are already looking towards the start of the NEXT school year. Say it with me now, the word is DEDICATED. In working with these teachers they asked me to come up with (in their words) a "quick and handy guide to web sites for content teaching." Okay, why not ask me to empty the ocean with a bucket? Seriously, there is so much great stuff on the web, I wasn't sure where to start.

What I've put together for them is a guided tour of sorts, to help them just scratch the surface of what's available. I have completed guides for math and science and am now working on social studies. If you have time and any interest in this, would you take a look and let me know what you think? If I've missed some broad category that should be included, please let me know.
Elementary Math on the Web - Guided Tour
http://blog.richmond.edu/openwidelookinside/archives/157
Elementary Science on the Web - Guided Tour
http://blog.richmond.edu/openwidelookinside/archives/158
**Updated** - Woohoo! The last tour is done. Please have a look at it as well.
Elementary Social Studies on the Web - Guided Tour
http://blog.richmond.edu/openwidelookinside/archives/159

3 comments:

  1. Wow! These are great lists! I love using Journey North for studying animal migration and seasonal change (like planting & tracking blooming tulip gardens across the country). It may be too specific for your science tour, but it's a wonderful resource and gets better every year.

    http://www.learner.org/jnorth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. Yes! I use Journey North and linked to it in posts on animal adaptations. I was really going for "big picture" stuff on the tour. I have a whole series of pages specific to our state standards that also includes this site.

    I thank you for mentioning it here, as there may be folks who stop by who don't know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a treasure trove of resources you've set sailing out into teacher land this week. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete