Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch - Six Words

In the book I Am Writing a Poem About . . . A Game of Poetry, Myra Cohn Livingston writes about three of the assignments she gave to students in her master class in poetry at UCLA. A while back, Elaine at Wild Rose Reader and Janet Wong, one of the students in Livingston's master class, challenged folks to write ring/drum/blanket poems. This is one of the assignments that is described in the book. The third assignment Livingston gave was to write a six-word-based poem. Here is a description from the book's introduction.
About the last assignment--a six-word-based poem--there was some debate. Everyone agreed that hole, friend, candle, ocean, bucket, and snake presented possibilities, but a few preferred the word scarecrow to bucket, so a choice was given. Hole, friend, candle, ocean, and snake were mandatory, but one could choose either bucket or scarecrow as the sixth word.
Now, that is a challenge! We are going to follow Livingston's directions, so your job this week is to write a poem that contains the five words hole, friend, candle, ocean, and snake, as well as either bucket or scarecrow as the sixth word. Leave me a comment about your poem and I will post the results here later this week.

5 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    I don't know if I'm up for this writing challenge. I'd have to hope that I'd be struck with some real poetic inspiration for this poetry stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digger

    As a friend,
    I dug a hole in the ground,
    where high tide will rush in
    sometime later,
    I felt like a scarecrow
    inside sand, as I placed
    the bucket over my head,
    a candle in my hand sizzled,
    without air to support its lungs,
    high tide came, and the sand
    around me hardened like concrete,
    my arms and legs crushed under water,
    and I got stuck as a snake,
    until I was fully submerged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the sort of thing I need to have in my hip pocket. Thanks for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely saw a poem in these words today!

    http://havingwrit.blogspot.com/2008/05/with.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to write a sestina but had to give up and write a diamante. Good challenge!

    ReplyDelete