Friday, October 31, 2008

Poetry Friday - A Deadly Apple

I loved the 1987 publication Halloween ABC, written by Eve Merriam and illustrated by Lane Smith. However, I must say that I am even fonder of the 2002 revised edition retitled Spooky ABC. Besides the absolutely pitch-perfect poems and illustrations, one of the most interesting things about the book is the section at the end entitled "The Awful Truth Behind The Making Of Spooky ABC." In it, Lane Smith describes how the first book and revised edition came about. This section also includes images that were created for the first book, but ultimately dropped because Eve Merriam's poems suggested other illustrations. For example, vampire was lost to viper, tree to trap, and cat to crawler. (I do LOVE the cat illustration, as well as the one for invisible. I wish you could see them!)

One of my favorite illustrations is the witch. What's that? There is no witch you say? There is in mine!
The letter W in the book actually stands for witchery. There is just so much to love in these words and illustrations. Today I'm sharing the poem for the letter A. In the book it is accompanied by an image of a red apple, held in a hand with long, slim fingers tipped with long fingernails.
Apple
by Eve Merriam

Apple,
sweet apple,
what do you hide?
Wormy and
squirmy,
rotten inside.

Apple,
sweet apple,
so shiny and red,
taste it,
don't waste it,
come and be fed.

Delicious,
malicious;
one bite and
you're dead.
The round up this week is being hosted by Sylvia Vardell at Poetry for Children. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday, all!

5 comments:

  1. Great poem, Tricia. I love Eve Merriam's poems for kids & often use "Weather" in the classroom. I'll have to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia,

    I really like Merriam's book, too. I have the older edition. The book has appeared on many "challenged books" lists.

    I knew there was a newer version--but I've only browsed through it at a library. Maybe I should see if I can order a copy of the 2002 edition.

    Hope you and William have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo that gave me a shiver. I do love apples so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about this book--I'm always on the lookout for fun poetry books for kids. And I love the Apple poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this collection, too-- in both editions. Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday at PoetryforChildren this Halloween! Stop by any time...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete