Friday, October 02, 2009

Poetry Friday - Let the Fall Leaves Fall/October

I started two different posts for Poetry Friday this week. Since I couldn't decide what to write about or which of two poems to post, I decided to give you both! With both I'm celebrating fall, my favorite season of the year.

This first poem is one of the few I have memorized. I am always reminded of it this time of year. It comes from Father Fox’s Pennyrhymes.
Let the Fall Leaves Fall
by Clyde Watson

Let the fall leaves fall
And the cold snow snow

Read the poem in its entirety.
This second poem came to me while I stood gazing long and hard at the waxing moon earlier in the week. I remembered the first two lines but nothing else. Thank goodness a Google search led me right to it.
October
by Jacob Polley

Although a tide turns in the trees
the moon doesn't turn the leaves,
though chimneys smoke and blue concedes
to bluer home-time dark.

Though restless leaves submerge the park
in yellow shallows, ankle-deep,
and through each tree the moon shows, halved
or quartered or complete,

Read the poem in its entirety.
The round up is being hosted by Kelly at Crossover. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared. Before you go be sure to check out the this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

5 comments:

  1. Happy to see Clyde Watson's wonderful verse here! She's an American treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely autumn poetry for a lovely autumn day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so wish we really HAD a fall here. Thanks for sharing yours, Tricia...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second one gave me a shiver! Thanks for sharing them both. Fall is a strange excitement for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've fallen in love at first read with that October poem.

    though chimneys smoke and blue concedes
    to bluer home-time dark.


    Though restless leaves submerge the park
    in yellow shallows, ankle-deep,

    The language and images capture the mood of October to me. Brilliant. Thanks, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete