Friday, October 30, 2009

Vote For Your Favorite Dirt Poem!

Over at David Harrison's blog you'll find a contest and a lot of dirty poems. Ahem. Poems about dirt, I mean! David threw out the word dirt as inspiration for a poem, and lots of folks played along. You can vote for your favorite until noon on November 3rd. The winner will receive the honor of being placed in the monthly hall of fame.

I am rather partial to the limerick Dirt by Laura Purdie Salas, Pies for Sale by David Harrison and The Dirt-Reader by Steven Withrow. (Alas, David's poem isn't in the running!)

The poem I wrote for this one was inspired by Richard Wilbur. It is untitled.
The opposite of clean is dirt
Like ketchup dribbled on your shirt
Or grass stains on your favorite jeans
Or brown stuff stuck to fresh plucked beans
It’s bunnies made of dust and hair
And specks and flecks found everywhere!
So, what are you waiting for? Head on over to read some great dirt poems and vote!

3 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    Many thanks for helping us spread the word about our dirt poems, including that charming one by you!

    Today has been a high traffic day as loads of people are dropping by to enjoy the poems and vote for a favorite. I expect the flow to continue until we cut off balloting at noon on Tuesday.

    I'll announce the winner Tuesday afternoon.

    Thanks again,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia,

    Why didn't you submit your poem to David? You did a great job. I think I will share it on my blog and point people you your site.

    Kathy Temean

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your dirt poem, Tricia--I just voted for it:>)

    Mine was a limerick for a color collection (Splashy, Clashy, and Oh So Flashy), and the image I had a was a kid's muddy, icky, sticky, dirty foot. But I'll confess I'm not ALL that wild about the poem itself. Kids on school visits love it, though. I think the image adds a lot.

    Your poem reminded me of my husband, who is forever getting salsa, ketchup, bbq sauce or whatever the reddest thing around is on his shirts.

    ReplyDelete