Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Shelving Decisions I'll Never Understand

I just returned from a quick visit to a local bookstore. Actually, I've been to several bookstores in the last week and am surprised about some of the shelving decisions that were made. Here are two.
The Day-Glo Brothers, written by Chris Barton and illustrated by Tony Persani - You could put this one in biography or even science and I'd be really happy with that decision. I finally found it in the ART section.

The Monsterologist: A Memoir in Rhyme, written by Bobbi Katz and illustrated by Adam McCauley - This one is pure poetry and a perfect read for Halloween, yet I didn't find it in the Halloween displays or the poetry section. I found it shelved with books on dragons and other -ologies, like Wizardology, Spyology, etc..
I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that stood out. How about you? Have you found books shelved/displayed in odd places lately?

2 comments:

  1. The Monsterologist is also in the Cybils as a YA SFF... and having not read it, I can't say it's utterly wrong, but the more reviews I hear? The more I'm sure of it. It should b in either poetry or MG SFF, at the very least...

    ReplyDelete
  2. -- okay, actually, I'm wrong.
    There's a book by Phillip Yancy which has a very, VERY similar title. And no poems. The MONSTRUMOLOGIST vs. the Monsterologist. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete