Friday, January 29, 2010

Poetry Friday - Erasers

I'm always on the lookout for new sources of poetry online. I was looking for a poem by Marie Ponsot when I came across the Poetry Series from Online NewsHour. As any good stumble on the Internet is bound to encourage, I spent an hour or so exploring all this site had to offer. You'll find audio, video, and a wealth of poems. Be sure to check it out.

While there I came across a terrific poem, which I am sharing today.

Erasers
by Mary Jo Salter

As punishment, my father said, the nuns
        would send him and the others
out to the schoolyard with the day's erasers.

Punishment? The pounding symphony
        of padded cymbals clapped
together at arm's length overhead

(a snow of vanished alphabets and numbers
        powdering their noses
until they sneezed and laughed out loud at last)

Read the poem in it's entirety. You can also listen to the poet read this piece.
The round up is being hosted by Anastasia Suen at Picture Book of the Day. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

2 comments:

  1. A cautionary tale for all teachers:

    Don't be

    "like a conductor raising high her chalk

    baton, the only one who got to talk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember cleaning erasers outside after school, but it was an honor to be chosen - a reward for good behavior, as you got to clap them on the side of the brick building and watch the white block-prints appear.

    And then people decided inhaling chalk dust was bad for us and replaced everything with white boards and smelly markers, so my kids never had that experience. :(

    ReplyDelete