Friday, January 15, 2010

Poetry Friday - Nocturnal

This week I'm sharing a poem by Stephen Edgar. I simply haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Maybe once you read it you'll feel the same as I do.
Nocturnal
by Stephen Edgar

It's midnight now and sounds like midnight then,
The words like distant stars that faintly grace
               The all-pervading dark of space,
               But not meant for the world of men.
                              It's not what we forget
But what was never known we most regret
Discovery of. Checking one last cassette
Among my old unlabelled discards, few
Of which reward the playing, I find you.

Read the poem in its entirety.
The round up is being hosted by Mary Ann at Great Kid Books. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely poem. It brings to mind some experiences of sorting through old unlabelled cassettes, sometimes bothering to find out what they contain, sometimes not and wondering what I just let myself let go of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This line went right to my heart:

    It's not what we forget
    But what was never known we most regret

    and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, I was just going through old VHS cassettes of my younger years the other day.
    Intriguing poem that stays with you.

    ReplyDelete